Fuel Costs – Vehicle Fuel Consumption and Fuel Costs Reporting
To make sure that your routing operations are as cost-effective and efficient as possible, Route4Me permits you to track the fuel consumption and fuel expenses of each vehicle in your entire fleet. Route4Me allows you to define what kind of fuel each of your vehicles runs on, as well as the average fuel consumption of each car, van, truck, etc., in your fleet so that you can get detailed statistics on how much fuel was used by a specific vehicle on any given route. In addition to that, you can define a custom price for each fuel type and then track how much it costs for a particular vehicle to finish the assigned route or even how much it costs to drive from one route stop to the next one. Having detailed fuel consumption and costs statistics can help you to optimize your operational expenses, as well as to detect and prevent unauthorized vehicle usage, minimize driver idling, avoid overloading, and more (learn more here).
Follow these steps to set up and track your fleet’s fuel consumption and fuel costs:
- Set up fuel prices for your Route4Me account;
- Check or update the fuel type and fuel consumption settings of your fleet vehicles;
- Assign the vehicle you want to track to a particular route;
- Use the Summary Table or the Route Manifest to check how much fuel is used to visit each route destination and how much it costs;
- Export routing data with the fuel consumption and fuel costs metrics for generating reports, analyzing your operational expenses, and more.
Setting Up Fuel Prices for Your Route4Me Account
To set up the preferred gas prices for your Route4Me account fuel expenses statistics, first, go to “Costs” from the navigation menu.
Next, define the current/custom fuel price for each fuel type (per gallon) and then click on the “Save” button to apply the changes.
Viewing and Updating Your Vehicles’ Fuel Type and Fuel Consumption Settings
After that, check or update the fuel type and fuel consumption settings of your fleet vehicles. To do so, first, go to “Vehicles” from the navigation menu to open the list of all vehicles associated with your Route4Me account. To learn more about Fleet Visibility permissions and the Route4Me Global Vehicles List, visit this page. Next, click on “Edit” next to the vehicle that you want to open and check or update. To learn more about setting up the fuel type and fuel consumption settings when creating new fleet vehicles, visit this page.
After that, scroll to the “Fuel” section accordingly. In the “Fuel” section, you can view or modify the following fuel information of the opened vehicle:
- – Fuel Type: Unleaded 87, Unleaded 89, Unleaded 91, Unleaded 93, Diesel, Electric, or Hybrid;
- – City, mpg: Average fuel consumption in the city (units can be adjusted – learn how);
- – Highway, mpg: Average fuel consumption on the highway (units can be adjusted).
To apply the changes, click on the “Save Vehicle” button.
Assigning Vehicles to Routes for Tracking Their Fuel Consumption and Expenses
To track how much fuel is consumed by one of your vehicles on a particular route, first, assign the preferred vehicle (with the corresponding predefined fuel parameters) to this route. To do so, in the Route Editor, go to “Edit” and then select “Assign Vehicle” from the menu. After that, select the preferred vehicle from the list and then click on the “Apply” button. To learn more about assigning vehicles to routes, visit this page.
In the Summary Table, you can view the total fuel cost of the route (“Fuel Cost”) that is calculated based on the route’s distance and the fuel information of the vehicle that is assigned to this route.
To view more detailed stop-by-stop fuel consumption and fuel costs metrics of the route, open the route’s Route Manifest. To do so, in the Route Editor, go to “View” and then select “View Manifest” accordingly.
In the route’s Route Manifest, first, check the “Fuel” box in the header and then check the “Fuel from Start” and “Fuel Cost from Start” boxes accordingly. To learn more about customizing your Route Manifest, visit this page.
- – Fuel from Start: Shows how much fuel the assigned vehicle needs to reach each destination from the start stop of the route;
- – Fuel Cost from Start: Shows the cost of the fuel the assigned vehicle needs to visit each destination on the route.
Exporting Route Data with Fuel Consumption and Costs Metrics
To export the route’s fuel consumption and costs data, in the Route Editor, go to “File” → Select “Download as” → Select “Export CSV” from the menu.
Next, use the search to find all preferred fuel-related data items, check the corresponding boxes to add them into the export file and then click on the “Export” button to download the file. To learn more about exporting your routes, visit this page.