Custom Data – Plan Routes With the Custom Data Business Rule
Route4Me route planning software makes it easy to plan accurate, efficient, and profitable driver routes. All you need to do is plug in the addresses of your customers, set the preferred route optimization constraints (number of drivers, availability window for each customer, etc.), and then your optimized routes will be ready in less than 30 seconds. Since each logistics-intense business and business model is unique and has specific needs, there might be information you want to use for your multi stop routes that cannot fit into Route4Me’s predefined fields. That being said, there is no one-size-fits-all solution to route planning. Route4Me’s Route Planning with Custom Data module allows you to add as many custom fields as you want to your routes so that you can fully accommodate the particular needs of your last mile delivery or middle mile logistics business.
To leverage route planning with custom data and plan routes with additional delivery details, first, go to “Plan New Route” from the navigation menu.
After that, adjust the following route optimization settings:
- Go to the “Optimization” tab;
- Select the preferred optimization type (Single Driver Route, Multiple Drivers Route, Disable Optimization, Balanced Team Route);
- Choose where to end the route(s) after the last stop is visited and serviced:
- “End route at any address“: The system automatically chooses the most efficient and optimal stop for ending each route;
- “End route at Departure address (Roundtrip)“: Each route ends at the same stop/address where it starts;
- “End route at last address“: The route ends at the stop that matches the last stop in the uploaded route file/spreadsheet (only for the “Single Driver Route” optimization).
After that, specify the rest of the route’s parameters to your preference and then click on the “Create Route and Proceed to Add Addresses” button.
Next, import route data into the system using one of the previously selected methods. When importing a spreadsheet with route data, for it to be successfully processed, the spreadsheet must contain a header row and data rows. The header defines the type of information you are importing, while the corresponding data rows contain the actual information/values that you import into the system. In addition to the obligatory “Address” column, you can also include other data columns (reserved attributes and custom data).
To import custom data, add the following columns to the route data spreadsheet:
- “Reserved Attributes“: Columns that contain Route4Me reserved attributes (i.e., address, alias, revenue, cube, priority, etc.) that are automatically recognized by the system. NOTE: The “Address” column is the only obligatory column that must be included into the spreadsheet;
- “Custom Data“: Columns that contain the custom information that you want to import into the system and attach to particular route stops.
Once you uploaded the spreadsheet, Route4Me processes the imported data and displays it in the corresponding window. Select the “Auto (attempt detection)” option to automatically process all reserved attributes and assign the right column titles to the right data columns. By default, the data that is not recognized as one of the reserved attributes is assigned the “Custom” column title in addition to the name of the corresponding column from the imported spreadsheet. Alternatively, you can manually match column titles to the data contained in each column.
In the “Verify Addresses on Map” window, you can view all imported and processed addresses on the map, as well as check their geocoding statuses. Green-colored dots indicate that the corresponding addresses were successfully geocoded with “High Confidence“. Addresses that have yellow colored dots next to them should be reviewed and fixed accordingly.
Once the route is planned, it is optimized and then opened in the Route Editor where you can modify it, as well as added to the Routes List with all your routes. To view the custom data of a particular stop, open the stop’s menu and then scroll to the “Custom Data” section.
To edit custom data of a particular stop, click on the “Field Content” (Editable) that you want to edit and then modify the data to your preference. In the “Custom Data” section of any stop, only the “Field Content” is editable, while the “Field Name” is not editable. Thus, if you want to change the name of a particular custom data field, you can delete the corresponding field completely and then add a new field with the preferred name and content.
Route4Me provides near real-time data synchronization across all associated computer and mobile devices so that any changes made from the Route4Me Route Optimization Web Platform can be effortlessly synchronized with Route4Me’s iOS and Android Route Planner apps in a matter of seconds. Thus, when using the route planning with custom data module, managers and dispatchers back at the office can add or modify custom data of any stop and instantly synchronize all updates with the mobile devices of the drivers who are out in the field.
Learn more about how to view and manage custom data.
Visit Route4Me's Marketplace to Check out Associated Modules:
Custom Data Add-On