Switching from MapPoint Route Planning to Route4Me
MapPoint was discontinued by Microsoft in 2014, which means its maps are outdated, there is no customer support to resolve any sort of issue, and new features will never be added. Some people are still using the software, but everyone will eventually have to switch to an updated and improved alternative to MapPoint, such as Route4Me.
Switching from MapPoint to Route4Me
Switching over to a new route planning solution is easy. This guide will show you how to quickly migrate your addresses to Route4Me.
Exporting Data from MapPoint
MapPoint allows you to export address data corresponding to the stops on your routes, as well as analytical data from your map, which may include detailed information on sales and orders.
To export your routing data from MapPoint (to a .GPX file) you need to take the following steps:
1. Open MapPoint and access the routing section by clicking “Routes” → “Route Planner.”
2. Click “Data” → “Export to .GPX file…”.
3. Save the exported file to your computer.
4. Finally, use a file converter to save the .GPX file to one of these formats: .CSV, .XLS or .XLSX.
If you have address data included in a certain region of your map, you are able to export that data and re-import into Route4Me. Note that only the sheet containing address data can be successfully imported into Route4Me.
To export extended analytical map data, you need to take the following steps:
1. Zoom in to a section of your map containing address/route data.
2. Right-click and drag to make a rectangular selection for your addresses/destinations, then release the mouse button to apply the selection.
3. Right-click on the selected area and click “Export to Excel.”
4. If you have MS Excel installed on your computer, the exported file will open automatically. Remove all sheets without address data and save the file to your computer. Please note that the file content and format may vary significantly depending on the type of data associated with the selected area on the map.
Importing Address Data into Route4Me
You can import your address data to Route4Me for one-time use (use them to plan a route or a set of routes immediately) or for recurring usage (add them to Route4Me’s address book and use them to plan routes whenever needed).
Importing Addresses for One-Time Usage
To import addresses for one-time usage, take the following steps:
1. Open a new tab on your browser and go to www.route4me.com.
2. Select “Login” and enter your credentials.
3. Select “Routes” → “Plan new route.”
4. Select “Upload a File” in the route planning options window.
5. You also have the option to set your route parameters, such as tour type (round trip or end at a stop), navigation preference (shortest distance or shortest amount of time), and how many sub-routes you want to create (for when you have multiple drivers servicing those addresses). When you’re done, select “Create Route and Proceed to Add Addresses.”
6. Click anywhere on the upload area, then navigate to the exported MapPoint spreadsheet.
7. Review your addresses on the map. Addresses that need your attention are marked under the “Review” and “Not Found” tabs. Edit addresses as needed, then select “Finish Import.” The system will optimize the address sequence and open your planned route.
8. If you need to add addresses/stops to your planned route, select the “Insert” tab and then select the “+ Addresses” option.
9. Type in the address and select “Finished Adding Addresses.”
10. If you want to keep your current address-to-route distribution while uploading multiple routes, you need to consolidate the routes into a single spreadsheet, add a column called “route_no,” and then upload the spreadsheet to Route4Me.
Note that you can also view multiple routes on the same map. Go to “Routes” → “Routes Map.”
Click the checkboxes next to the routes you want to display to make the routes appear on the map and in the timeline section.
Importing Addresses for Recurring Usage
For recurring usage, upload your addresses to Route4Me’s address book. The address book allows you to keep track of your addresses and all the information that is important about them, such as how often you visit them, the date they were last visited, etc.
1. In your Route4Me account, select “Address Book” → “Address Book List.”
2. Select “File” → “Upload Addresses.”
3. Click anywhere on the upload area, then navigate to the exported MapPoint spreadsheet.
4. The system will notify you if there are any geocoding issues you need to review. Click the “Show x destinations” button next to “Addresses to review.”
5. Modify the addresses as needed, then select “Add to address book.”
6. Your addresses and all the information associated with them will be added to the address book. If you want to view the locations on a map, go to “Address Book” → “Address Book Map.”
Once the migration is complete, you’ll be able to start enjoying the many benefits that Route4Me has to offer.